Tuesday, July 23, 2013

How to treat damaged hair

Hello! Thank you for viewing my blog! Today I will be discussing how to treat damaged hair and get your locks back beautiful. We all cause damage to our hair and that’s okay! Have you ever had a bad episode with a flat iron and wanted to shave your head? ME TOO! Below is a list of a few signs that your hair will give you when it's damaged. These are just signs that I have encountered with my hair and others :)

1. Split ends with a Y shape.
2. Frizzy and unruly hair.
3. Dull/grayish looking hair
4. Fragile and easily broken hair

These are all signs that your hair has some form of damage. If we change some of our habits we can minimize the damage. Here's a few things we can stop or relax on doing..

Sleeping on Cotton pillows- Cotton absorbs moisture very well which strips your hair of moisture daily!! We should use a satin bonnet or pillow

Over Processing- Coloring or Relaxing to frequently can overtime break down the layers of hair which results in breakage. The same effect will also occur if you color and relax at the same time. I recommend waiting until at least 1in of new growth before relaxing.

Heat- As the saying goes "Everything in moderation" should be applied to using heat on hair. I should also mention that even if you don't use heat daily using heat on the highest setting can also cause damage.

No Moisture or not enough- I believe that a good moisturizer is water based. There are a lot of women that simply oil the scalp every so often and that's all. Since I have started this natural hair journey I've learned that my 4C hair needs a water based moisturizer followed by a heavier oil being applied around the edges to "lock in" the moisture. I have experienced more hair growth by using this method than any other. 

Here are a few good things to do with your hair.....

Condition often- Conditioning with every wash will replenish the hair adding more protein and moisture. Try adding heat to your conditioning route. Heat helps the oils penetrate the scalp. If you can't deep condition at least use a leave-in conditioner.

Don't leave any style in too long- I believe that braids should only stay in 8wks maximum! Once they are removed you should follow up with a deep conditioning

Wear protective styles- I consider any style that protects your hair from excessive heat and pulling while keeping ends unexposed a protective style. For example buns, braids, Wigs, Flat Twists, Sew-in Weaves are all protective styles. Click my link best-hair-tutorials-ever for inspiration.

Trimming- Every 7-8wks you should trim the hair to remove any split ends.

That's all for now feel free to leave any questions or comments below. Don't forget to subscribe by email and my blog entries will come directly to you :)










No comments:

Post a Comment