Tuesday, July 16, 2013

How I maintain Healthy Hydrated Hair during lengthy protective styles

Happy Tuesday!
I apologize about not posting last week my schedule was hectic. Anyways let's talk about hair. So to bring you up to speed I have had the Havana Twists for a few weeks now and I love them. The technique I used is called crochet braiding (which if you click the link *best hair tutorials ever*) you can see the YouTube video I used to achieve this style. To maintain healthy hair under this style I have been experimenting with a few different products. Choosing the right product is critical because everyone's hair is different but we all can agree that everyone needs moisture on their hair.

I believe that using a water based moisturizer is critical to my 4C hair. If you’re not sure what your hair type is I will post a photo of most hair types. It's not a perfect science... In fact I believe that in every head there are combinations of hair types throughout the hair. Using myself for example in the front and around my edges I have 4A in my crown area I have 4C and the back is a cross between 4b/c. So yes it's a hot mess after washing but once I do a deep condition (which I'll share how I do that as well) it's pretty easy to maintain.




Water Based Moisturizer
This can be used as often or as little as you like. Depending on the needs of your hair. I currently use it about 3 time a week and massage my scalp for about 3-5 minutes to help stimulate the scalp.

NOTE:
These portions will vary depending on your spray bottle size mines holds  8oz....

1 squirt of leave-in conditioner
1/4 Argan Oil $9.99 at Sally's
1/4 Olive Oil varies at your local grocery strore.
1/2 Warm Water
1 Spray Bottle





 













Place all ingredients into spray bottle shake to mix and spray directly on scalp. This can also be used on synthetic hair as well :)

After spraying my hair I use a sealant. A sealant is usually a heavier oil but it helps lock in the moisture. I only do this once a week using coconut oil with a focus on my edges. With a thicker oil a little goes a long way you should only need about 1 1/2 tablespoons.

DEEP Conditioner

So we all know how important it is to keep our hair conditioned. But, it can be a very tedious task especially when you have been in your hair all day and you down to the final steps conditioning being one. Sometimes we under condition the hair :( which makes it harder for our tresses to look fabulous. Here's a few different ways I deep condition:

Cholesterol- I love this for a few different reasons
1. It's very thick, heavy and it has moisture in it that helps me detangle my 4C hair especially in the crown area.
2. CHEAP!! You can get this at any local BBS they range from $3-$10 depending on what brand you want. I prefer Lustrasilk



After using the cholesterol to detangle I was out the hair and apply a leave-in olive oil based conditioner

If you have any comments or questions please feel free to post below. Don't forget to subscribe via email or follow that way my posts come directly to us... and as always thank you for viewing my blog and being a part of my hair journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment